Week 3 Story: The Quokka and the Tourists

The Quokka and the Tourist

On an island off of the coast of Western Australia, a quokka was scurrying around the forest to find some plants to bring back to his wife. As he found the perfect shrub to take to his home, the leaves started to rustle nearby. He lifted his head to search for the source of the noise.

A swarm of tourists soon surrounded the little marsupial. 

"And if you look toward your right, you can see a quokka!" said a tour guide leading the group. "They are known for their permanent smiles so make sure you snap a quick photo with him!"

Eager to share their adventures in the outback to their online followers, the tourists approached the quokka one-by-one with their phones in hand.

"Oh my god, how cute! This animal is absolutely beaming." 

"It must be the most carefree creature in the world. I have to take a selfie with him and show everyone how adorable he is!"

One of the tourists leaned down and extended his selfie stick to aim his phone towards him and the quokka.

"Say cheese. Oh wait, you're already smiling so you don't need to say cheese!" the man chuckled.

"Excuse me, humans. I am under a lot of stress. My wife was attacked by a red fox and we have been without food for days. We have also lost our normal shelter because of housing developments encroaching on our usual habitat. So no, I am not smiling because I am carefree and happy. My face just happens to look like this." 

The man slowly turned his head towards the others in shock.

"Di-did he just..."

The tourists had gone pale, jaws hanging wide open.

"Yes, I think he just spoke. Let's get out of here!" the tour guide screamed as he pushed his way past the group and ran as fast as he could. The bewildered group quickly followed behind, leaving the quokka in peace.

A smile doesn't signify happiness


Author's Note: This story is inspired by Aesop for Children with illustrations by Milo Winter (1919). I tried to adhere to the fable formatting by including anthropomorphic animals and a moral the reader can take away from the story. I used a quokka as the protagonist because they went viral a few years ago for being "the world's happiest animals" since many people were taking photos of their cute smiles. I also thought it would be funny to subvert the expectation of a talking animal in Aesop's stories and have the humans actually be surprised by the quokka when he begins to speak.

Comments

  1. Hi Deepa! I really enjoyed your modern take on Aesop's Fables. I think it really keeps to the spirit of the original fables in teaching a lesson. I also like the use of the language you used when it says "a swarm of tourists," which really helps to create a good mental image of a bunch of obnoxious tourists trampling through the forest. Can't wait to read more of your stories later in the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deepa, this might be the best story I've read all semester. You did a great job. I was wishing there was a picture of a quokka at the beginning of the story but having one at the very end is perfect. I thought the story was pretty funny, and I liked the subverting of expectations. Keep on writing with creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the picture as it enabled me to know what a Quokka is as I have never heard of them before. I really like this stories lesson that the people smiling the biggest are usually hurting the most underneath. It was funny when the animal talked and startled everyone, and the person that was supposed to be the most comfortable with the animals, the tour guide, jumped the highest and ran off the fastest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts