Week 5 Story: The Bonga

Author's Note: This story is inspired by The Magic Fiddle from Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs. In the initial story, after the wives ask the Bonga (a magical spirit) to take their sister-in-law away, a series of events occur that ultimately lead the sister to living a happier life. My take is from the Bonga's perspective with an implication that he may have had a hand in helping the sister find that better fate.


The Bonga

A Bonga was idly relaxing on a lilypad, gazing out over his domain of the river. He was thinking about his purpose in the world and was having a bit of an existential crisis. He felt compelled to monologue: 

"I try to mind my own business most days, but sometimes, out of nowhere, people approach me with selfish desires and ask me to use my mystical powers to grant their wishes. These mortals worry about the most frivolous things and think their problems are something I would even care about. I usually just go along with whatever they ask for to get them to stop talking to me. But what am I really doing here? I mean, sure - granting them their wishes requires almost nothing from me, but the wishes I grant often have some nefarious intent behind them. With all the power that I have, do I really want to just add more negativity to this world?"

Just at that moment, several women were making their way along the river, talking over one another. The Bonga cleared his throat in hopes of silencing them. The women's energetic chattering slowly dwindled as they realized they were in the presence of a spirit. The eldest of the group stepped forward and kneeled.

"Oh dear Bonga, we have finally found you. Will you please help us with our unfortunate plight?"

The Bonga was intrigued. Maybe his newfound goal of becoming a positive force in the universe wouldn't have to be that difficult to accomplish. These women may give him a noble cause to help with after all. He gestured for the woman to continue.

"The seven of us are married to brothers of the same family. The brothers' younger sister has started to live with us and we want to get rid of her."

"Has she been abusive towards you? Is she trying to steal your money?" the Bonga asked with concern.

"No, nothing like that. She does all the cooking and is too quiet. Can you trick her into drowning and keep her as your maiden?"

The Bonga stared blankly at the seven wives. After several uncomfortable minutes, he let out a long exhale and reluctantly agreed. It would be tough, and convoluted, and may even require anthropomorphic instruments, but he was determined that this story would have a happy ending.

Illustration from The Magic Fiddle

Bibliography:

Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1912)




Comments

  1. This story is sad that family members would wish ill on one another! To have that power only to be held to the whims of mortal beings would be upsetting. I wonder why if the bonga is a powerful spirit, could he not just evade all the humans or not grant them the wishes they ask?

    The story, and the original story doesnt really make sense in that they would want to get rid of someone that benefits them while seeking nothing in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deepa.
    I gotta say that I am so intrigued by this story! I have no experience with Indian mythos and folktales, so much of the nuance on this story is lost on me, but I love the direction you took with the tale. Bringing modern sarcasm and witticism into the words and thoughts of the Bonga I felt was a particularly nice touch! I would love to know more about what happens to the sister-in-law; the vague ending was very much appreciated but I felt it could have answered the question of how "anthropomorphic instruments" played into the story better. Also, was this the reason for the group of women to have their sister-in-law wished away in the original tale? I, personally, am extremely confused why this would be a sufficient reason to have someone wished out of their life and was curious whether the original tale had any additional extrapolation upon reasoning? All in all, I liked the tale and am excited to see where it goes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Deepa
    I found your story interesting. I like how the Bonga wanted to keep to his business but was annoyed by humans. It does seem like people do worry about frivolous things a lot. I found it sad the wives wanted to have their sister-in-law harmed. It seemed like she was doing her best to help the family. I would like to know what happened to her. What made him determine there would be a happy ending?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deepa,
    I must say I was intrigued by your story, so I had to read the original inspiration myself. I agree that it seems like the Bonga might have had a hand in her happy ending. I love your characterization of the Bonga, and how he seems tired of his allotted role in life. He is quite the relatable river spirit. Do you know if there is a cultural reason why the wives might want their husbands' sister gone? It felt like there might be, since the original story seems to not feel the need to explain it much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deepa,
    This story kind of reminds of Cinderella a little bit. The wives cursed the younger sister and the Bonga is kind of like the Fairy Godmother to the younger sister. I find the reasoning for the younger sister to die was cruel just because the younger sister wanted to help around the house like cooking. I'm glad the Bonga wanted to give the younger sister a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts