My Favorite Place: Seattle

Seattle skyline (Source: Pixabay)

I began my undergraduate degree at the University of Washington in Seattle and I soon fell in love with the city. With its extremely diverse population, lush greenery, and amazing food scene it's truly one of my favorite places and I hope to visit again soon. I'll list a few particular spots that I think everyone should try to see if they plan on visiting:

Pike Place Market
Even if you've never been to Seattle, you've probably heard of Pike Place Market since it's the location that most tourists go to when they first arrive. But I would still encourage you to go to visit local vendors and try the many different eateries that are scattered around the area. Piroshky Piroshky is a Russian bakery that seems to always have a long line, but I believe it is definitely worth the wait. And you'll have to, of course, eat some seafood while you are there, so Pike Place Chowder should also be a new addition to your food bucket list!

Pike Place Market (Source: Pixabay)

Museum of Pop Culture [MOPOP]
There are a lot of great art museums in Seattle, but one of my favorites is the MOPOP. Initially created as the Experience Music Project in 2000 by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, it has since expanded its exhibits to include all types of popular culture art and history displays. It's an incredibly unique museum that has various interactive elements. There are separate wings of the building dedicated to fantasy and sci-fi movies and characters and it was fun getting immersed in those worlds. The last time I visited, they had a temporary Jim Henson exhibit which I was ecstatic for since I'm a huge fan of The Muppets.

Museum of Pop Culture (Source: Wikipedia)

Spring Cherry Blossoms at the UW Quad
One of the more picturesque locales would have to be the Quad at the University of Washington during the spring. The cherry blossoms are in full bloom a few weeks out of the year so if you're lucky enough to be in the area during that limited timeframe in March, you can't pass up a quick photo shoot at the Quad. 

Personal photo of UW Quad from March 2017

Thank you for letting me reminisce about my time in Seattle, and hopefully, I inspired whoever's reading this to take a trip there at some point. Although, I'm just now remembering that we are in the midst of a pandemic so no one should be traveling anytime soon. But maybe I painted a vivid enough picture of the city for you that it feels like you're there already? Yeah I know, it's not the same.

Comments

  1. I am a Seattle fan too, Deepa! My brother was born there, and I also had a good friend in college who was from Seattle. She even used to send me a special cinnamon tea from Pike Place Market that was not available anywhere else (this was back before the Internet when it was a big deal to get speciality foods from faraway places). But the MOPOP is new to me and that sounds fantastic... if we can just get to the other side of this pandemic, I will need to find some excuse to go visit Seattle again! And as for Muppets, maybe you will do a Muppet-style project for this class. I don't know if you saw in the news how the Great Gatsby finally entered the public domain in 2021, and immediately someone wrote a Muppets version. Everything is better with Muppets! Muppets Present ‘The Great Gatsby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that Muppet Great Gatsby mashup! What a great concept. I also saw that all 5 seasons of The Muppet Show is going to be on Disney + in February, so the question now is "Do I commit to yet another streaming service?"

      Delete
    2. I know that feeling, ha ha. I got CBS for Star Trek and they are making so much Star Trek stuff I cannot even keep up. But this summer is going to be my Summer-of-Star-Trek binge-watching. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts